My name is Lauren Metz and I am a senior at James Madison University. I will be graduating in August 2013 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Media Arts & Design, along with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication Studies. I am concentrating in Corporate Communications within Media Arts & Design. This social media resume is designed to showcase my work and highlight skills I have developed in the classroom and in the workforce. For a copy of my paper resume, click here.
WDBJ7 News Reporting, Summer Intern
- During my internship at WDBJ7 I worked as a news reporter. I used my writing skills to compose news stories that were on air, along with online. I also did audio and video editing with the help of the WDBJ7 newsroom staff. I learned how to create different story angles, balance the story, create networks, and write in a conversational style.
You can see my portfolio from this experience by clicking here.
Fundamental Skills in Media Arts & Design I
- In this class I learned how to use the Adobe programs Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I created photo illustrations, social media app logos, and a magazine layout.
- The picture on the left is my social media app logo that was created using Adobe Illustrator and the picture on the right is a postcard that was created using Adobe Photoshop.
Fundamental Skills in Media Arts & Design II
- I learned the basics of video and audio editing. Using IMovie, I created a short video sequence with multiple angles and cuts.
News Reporting and Writing
- I developed my writing skills for print journalism. I wrote many different types of articles, and posted weekly in a group blog.
Introduction to Communication Research
- In this class I learned how to effectively research. This was a process that lasted throughout the semester and consisted of developing an abstract, research question, measurement system, and results. To read through my research paper click here.
Sports Public Relations
- This class emphasizes how sports organizations promote their teams. I created a mini media guide using InDesign which you can see here.
- Print Writing
- Conversational Writing
- Microsoft Suite
- Layout Design
- Presentational Speaking
Honors & Leadership
- Dean’s List
- First Presbyterian Church Scholarship (4 years)
- Clay Family Scholarship
- Competitive Club Cheerleading Vice President